- 100g dark chocolate
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups (255g) brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75) plain flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 18 x 1/3-cup (80ml) capacity muffin pans with paper cases.
- Combine the chocolate and water in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition, until just combined. Add the flours and cocoa powder and stir until just combined. Add the melted chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Spoon evenly among the lined muffin pans. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Use brown sugar to give the cupcakes a richer, sweeter taste.
Mix the eggs in a cup or bowl so you can control how much goes in the mixture at a time.
Take them out of the oven and let them cool down for about 10 minutes.
Before you leave them to cool down for 20 minutes, cut a cupcake open to check they don't need any extra cooking.
The recipe makes about 20 cupcakes so you will need to put another batch on.
~ Jordy xx